Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Virtual Archive: Julia Vogl

From Absorb to Zoom: An Alphabet of Actions in the Women's Art Library, my site-specific installation of digital prints with content derived from the Women's Art Library, will be on view at Goldsmiths College in March 2015.


In  tandem with the project, I am inviting selected artists with documentation in the WAL archive to send me images of recent work to feature on this project blog. 


Julia Vogl's engaging artworks invite public participation. She describes her practice and some of her projects:


I am interested in mapping place, person, community and architecture. Inspired by the Modernists and William Morris, my social sculptures teeter on design and community work -- ultimately creating colorful abstract data visualizations with people.


In Forecasting Me, I engaged a corporate fashion trend forecasting group to predict their future with shoelaces.



Forecasting Me, Qualifying the likelihood of your future plans, Special commission by WGSN for their W1 Air Art Project Space, London, 2013



I invited visitors to Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust in Bristol, to contribute a stone to a resin-cast Victorian grave ornament urn, symbolising their living relationship to the site.

Future Memorial, In collaboration with Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust, 

Bristol, June 2014- July 2015



I traveled with the Vauxhall Art Car Boot Fair this summer, inviting the public to draw a line across the mapped car showing where they were from and where they would like to go.  

   

Past mapping Future, Vauxhall Art Car Boot Fair, 2014: London, Liverpool Biennial
and Folkestone Triennial



I also have a drawing and print practice inspired by maps and people and am currently working with Luxaflex Roller blinds on integrating my designs into the home.




I made this work with the London Brain Project. It is a representation of a lifetime of seizures from one Epilectic man. 


Timewell Timeline, 2014, 17M x 1M, 72 silkscreen printed panels on card, vinyl, wooden molding and data. Swiss Cottage Library, London

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment